Thursday, June 16, 2005 - 7:13 pm

"I Work Miracles!"

Of course, before we know he is a saint, there will have to be miracles. ~Graham Greene
“I work miracles!” That was the first thing GG told us. At the instant, I knew my impression on him was definitely not going to turn good. Frankly, I just couldn’t clear away any prejudgments I had of him when he, with such orotundity, declared in his booming voice that he had made “miracles” before – a classic example of a braggart.

One thing I was quite disappointed was that he was speaking in Chinese. I’ve heard of how terrible his English was when he gave the speech in the other classes. Not that I didn’t know that. Two years ago, when he was still a student in our school, he took part in some public speaking contest. Though he didn’t care to properly pronouce a bundle of words in a prepared speech, he acted with such superiority and arrogance that immediately turned him into an infamous icon among those who are slightly acquainted with him.

Oh yeah, as we later learned, Mr Braggart did not really work miracles. He fell short of someone like Moses, but was rather a quack. He didn’t tranform water into wine. Neither did he cross the Red Sea with the water rising up in two walls. What he achieved was turning himself from a person who never touched a ball before, into a basket ball coach. Bah! As if that’s any big deal. And I just don’t feel like repeating how he bragged about training a lousy basket ball team which had not won any tournament into an A-team that took part in state-level tournaments. Heck, he took all the credits to himself!

“You should be able to complete three maths questions in this forty minutes – if you think your future is worth that three questions,” Mr Braggart went on.

Whoa! He might not be a Saint who works miracles but he certainly had foresight, to some extent. That was exactly what was on my mind, only that I thought better of it and decided to let him have a try on me, though I knew dead well from the beginning that he was not a pleasant person to meet. I don’t know why, but this guy just did not merit my respect and attention. The more he bragged, the more he filled me with indignation.

“Raise your hand if you’re a boy!” he yelled (without the necessity to do so) like a total maniac. – “Duh!”

I decided to do physics.

Calculate the r.m.s current through the capacitor… r.m.s current… r.m.s. curr–

“I want to be an entrepreneur! I want to make big moneys! (sic)” Mr Braggart’s booming voice disrupted my train of thought. Now, we really had a taste of his Singlish (this guy is currently studying in Singapore)! He then went on saying something I didn’t not care to listen to. But I did catch him repeating “moneys” a couple of times.

… and the cathode to the negative terminal, the diode is said to be forward-biased.

“Some students tell that they going to (sic) study medicine and some going to (sic) do engineering.” Oh, nausea had started to set in.

Meanwhile, KT was getting impatient and started to talk. Mr Braggart swept him a side-way glance and delivered a fatal blitz. At one point, when Mr Braggart talked about sports hypnosis, YC innocently asked for a demonstration (yes, he was innocent) but Mr Braggart ignored him.

In the rest of his speech, Mr Braggart hyped about how he got his four A’s in STPM despite the fact that he scored poorly in school exams. Hey, it doesn't qualify as a miracle if you get good results by studying hard. By using the word "miracle", he was delivering the sublime message that one can success (sic) without effort. (Mr Braggart's style: "I want to see you success!")

“I work miracles!” Sigh, there the megalomaniac went again.

Of course, as Mr Braggart went on telling us his miracles, he continued banging the table and yelling as if his pants were on fire. What a wacko he was! Luckily, JJ was absent from school. Otherwise, I dare not imagine how a fierce debate would ensue.

“Normally, I’d need more than an hour to explain to you about my course. But I’m running out of time now and have only five minutes,” Mr Braggart elucidated with genuine disappointment.

“Thank God”, I was mumbling.

Finally, Mr Braggart revealed his ultimate motive – something about signing up for his motivation course which costs RM 200 an hour for a group. But he was slashing down the fee to RM 15 since he would love to contribute to his Alma Mater. Oh, he also gave us some statistics on the number of students from other classes that signed up and kept mentioning how good was the response from a biology class. (He learned sports hynopsis, remember?) I guess he was implicitly challenging us to break the record!

Ha! Imagine the disappointed look on his face when less than a handful of us signed up for his course while the rest gladly left for home!

By the end of his speech, I’ve wasted forty minutes – which I’d gladly indulge in chatting. I wonder if that cost me RM 15?

I know some braggarts (grin) but GG is definitely the most intolerable one I’ve met. I later found out many of the others share the same view as I do. GG could be a great orator or motivator but his style definitely does not suit me. Perhaps, he should consider being a politician instead!

11 comments:

K.O.J.A. said...

i think he made up all those stories. yeah.

Anonymous said...

i agree with u ... i HATE the way he spoke and the way he acted... as if he's the GOd...

i wanted to ask him to define miracles.. wat's miracles meant to him....

erm... and he's just trying to imitate those foreign speakers but unfortunately, he failed to.

besides that, he also didn't dare to have nay eye contact with us... he wasn't even confident in himself, how can he make us confident?

and also, my classmate stated that he wasn't the one who brought glory to the basketball team. but it was him who made them lost their champion.. imagine that, how can someone who dunno any rules lead a team to the championship?

i was frustrated when he kept repeating MONEY $$... is that money so important to him? but then, he kept on stressing that he came to clhs isn't for money...yet, he collected money for his so-called miracle talk...well, at 1st i thought i was forced to go for the workshop.. luckily... if i was, then i will rather pay him RM15 to keep his BIG MOUTH SHUT~~ since he treats $$ as his whole life.....

i wonder what will those who go benefit from hiS workshop~~ haha~

sigh~ hope he won't go round and stress that he was once a chung ling guy..

Tan Sri said...

Personally, I find him uncharismatic, actually made me less attracted to his speech, power teh makes better speeches.
read about a summary of what i tot about him at my blog...

and btw, gary, if u ever ever chance upon this comment, u need a speechwriter :P

raptor_ravenlord said...

eh yst..typo!
"Meanwhile, KT was getting impatient and started to talked."
mebbe u relly SHUD hv shut dat guy out :P

Kryptos said...

{KOJA} "i think he made up all those stories" -- Yeah, I dun quite believe him either...

{Snow angel} "besides that, he also didn't dare to have nay eye contact with us" --- If i'm not mistaken, he was looking at the ceiling most of the time... Hidung tinggi betul! How come so many ppl from ur class decided to go to his talk???!!! We hv only 5 from our class ;P

{Tan Sri} I sure hope I hv his email address so that I can send a petition to him!!!

{raptor ravenlord}> No, it's not a typo lah... I was referring to someone else...

btw, i just learnt that JJ had actually prepared to bombard GG. Too bad he was absent on that day cuz his leg was injured... sigh... lucky GG...

Kryptos said...

haha, also, I've heard some gossips from TSH about GG. Not u, Miss Tan! I mean my english teacher... Come to think of it, even someone like her would talk about someone else's bad things... GG muz be really really terrible...

Anonymous said...

i'm also quite curious why there's 20 of them going for this nonsense talk.

erm... hence, i questioned those who are going. Some say,:'let's see how he can boost for 5 hours!'
one says,:'erm...writing our names down doesn't mean we will pay for that RM15', one says:'let him happy for a while until his workshop, everyone will be absent for that.'

erm... i don't know is their answer truthful or not... but i really dislike this guy... i never felt anyone so irritating and annoying before....

btw, in our class, he's always looking at the ceiling and the floor too as if there's money$$ on our floor.. haha~

let's see how's his workshop going to do... haha~

p/s: miss osk also doesn't have a good comment on him... she said he didn't work out any miracles...haha~ i wonder why B3 has about whole the class attending...

sjune said...

miss osk....the one who knocked down a cat with her car? :P

Kryptos said...

Huh??? How come you know that story too??? ;P I dun know the whole story...

sjune said...

SOMEHOW i get to noe

i own UFOs which flies around CLHS muahahaha

Cheng Eng Aun said...

Since Mr. Gary compares himself with Anthony Robbins and claimed to have performed 'miracles' (translated from Chinese), perhaps we should propose the Pope to grant him a title of Saint.

Witness: Mr. Gary may touch X and said, "Son, you can perform miracles. You will get 4As for your STPM without having to study hard." Then X get it...

What about the other two miracles? Any idea?