Sunday, July 01, 2007 - 11:35 pm

Reunion and Parting

Every parting is a form of death, as every reunion is a type of heaven. ~Tryon Edwards
Be it the "cheat-kansen" or densha, it was great how they took the effort coming all the way back to Tokyo, just for a small party. I'm usually not the party-goer type, but I'm glad I went.

Of course, not everyone could make it; only slightly more than ten of us did. Even though this isn't really the gang I always hang out with in gaidai, there's the feeling of attachment nonetheless. After all, there's no way of bonding better than by staying in the same dorm for a year. We were an international community in the small campus. We may be gaijins but we feel at home because we are a family, brought together purely by providence. We may be in a foreign land but at least there's a strong sense of belonging among ourselves.

Reunion and parting. The former reminds you of the fond memories: it's an emotional roller coaster ride that brings you back from the present to the past. The latter reminds you of how things are no longer the way they used to be: it's a depressing ride from the past back to the present. Then, you start wishing that you don't have to part again, even though you know that nothing in life is for an eternity.

Not long ago, I've just eventually tuned up to the rhythm of my new life in university, but now the reunion reminds me of the good old days we used to have. The feeling of nostalgia gnaws at the heart. I'm all lonely once more.

Sigh. Now I have to tune back to my life again.

No comments: