Saturday, February 18, 2006 - 4:49 am

Double-crosser

One of the most striking differences between a cat and a lie is that a cat has only nine lives. ~Mark Twain
...while a lie can live on forever - provided that you can live a life which is full of lies, because it only takes one lie to beget more lies.

Unfortunately, I couldn't. Because I have to stand up for what I believe; I have my principles to adhere to. Because, I'm the kind of person who does not wish to be lied to, "unless you're absolutely sure I'll never find out the truth".

So, I did what I believed was right. And here I am, ended up as a pathetically untrustworthy double-crosser. For all I know, I could have been sentenced to the gallows. Or stoned to death by sunrise. Or burned at the stake. Or drowned in sewer. Or thrown into the Amazonian river to feed the piranhas.

To begin with, it was none of my business. I could have stayed mum and pretended as if nothing happened. If only I could keep it for one more day, things wouldn't have to end up this way.

Sorry, I couldn't. Because I had a part to do with the lie. It has been tugging at my conscience ever since, for I knew there was no way for me to live with it.

Now, it has become my business. Just because I couldn't keep on lying, I betrayed someone else's trust, even possibly losing a friend that I've just acquainted.

I didn't know who was right. Or wrong. Till now, I still don't know. I thought I'm going to feel better by telling the truth. But, no, I'm not.

Perhaps, it is right after all to say that "he who cannot lie does not know what the truth is". Sometimes, the truth can be so hurtful that it is better to masquearade it so as to avoid unpleasant conflicts.

The world is full of lies. For heaven's sake, try to live with them! Stop trying to become George Washington the goody-two-shoes. Sometimes, honesty just doesn't apply and not everyone can take it the way dear George's father did. Wake up, you idiot! You're not a hero for breaking the truth on behalf of someone else!

What is done is done. Yet, I'm still doubting my actions.

Even though I'm being repeatedly told that I'm not being blamed, I just can't help taking it as a sarcastic remark. It supposedly didn't ruin any friendship, but at the very least, I've done a convincing job proving myself to be a faithless person.

Should I have kept the lie or should I have let it out... I don't know. But one thing for sure is, what you think is the right thing to do is often not the best course of action.

Sorry.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh well..no point crying over spilt milk eh? =)

hope everything goes well for u...

Anonymous said...

Well, me myself dun like to lie also.
But sumtimes there will be some ocassion u gotta lie.
Haih....

K.O.J.A. said...

I'm THE ONES WHO NEVER LIE! DEATH NOTE REIGNS SUPREME!

A note from Kryptos5: Irrelevant nonsense.
Edited on 20 February 2006, 6.27pm

K.O.J.A. said...

Well, Hi, little Raito the manipulator... maybe I should use the flooble instead

阿蛋 said...

Lying may not be a bad thing. Sometimes, lies sooth people more, and it is more acceptable than the truth at times.

However, there are certain things that should not be lied about. One is on your own principles. You should uphold your ownprinciples no matter what.

If it help someone to feel better iof you lie, it's OK.

Anonymous said...

I'm really sorry that u got dragged into this messy affair.

But let me just say this la, I THINK I'm over it la, but dunno la.

My life is so hectic now that I'm going totally crazy.

Sigh. I dunno la.

Kryptos said...

whether it had been a bad decision or not, what is done is done. "no point crying over spilt milk," as ee lin put it.
what's more, i tend to exaggerate things which may seem trivial to others. so, i'm not going to burden myself thinking abt it now...