Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 6:32 pm

Death Note

If you will come forth, then so shall I; if that's how you want it, then that's how I want it, too. Soon our battle will be concluded and I will begin my reign from the summit of victory! ~Yagami Light, Death Note
Even though manga and anime have become a pop culture a few years back, I have not read the first manga until late last year. Out of curiosity, I chose to start with Naruto, which everybody was (and is still) talking about. Believe it or not, I finished 280+ chapters in a mere two or three weeks' time! Heck, that's 6 years of hard work for Kishimoto!



Of course, like everybody else, I thought Naruto was a great manga - until Koja introduced me to Death Note.

To compare Naruto with Death Note is like comparing JK Rowling with Dan Brown or William Hung with virtually anyone else. The former only caters to the hoi polloi while failing to stimulate the enlightened minority. I happen to fall into the second category, just in case you're still not aware. And, us enlightened people who are endowed with the highest degree of minds cannot possibly be satiated with such a mediocre entertainment, for we require a greater form of stimulation. (Hah! Do I sound priggish! I'm holier than thou!)

Death Note narrates the story of a bright young man, Yagami Light who came into possession of a Death Note - a notebook used by shinigami (death gods) to kill their victims by writing down their names on the pages. With the help of the Death Note, Light assumed the name "Kira" and began to cleanse the world from evil by killing criminals in order to realise his utopian dream of an ideal society. Then, came L - the best detective in the world - who attempted to reveal Kira's secret identity and bring him to justice. So, the story basically revolves around the battle of wit between these two great minds.

As a protagonist, Light is evidently not a role model. Though he sanctions a good cause, Light is actually quite a grey character, considering his skills in manipulating people around him to attain his goal. The end justifies the means? No way! He's way too evil!

But, I like him that way! Because intelligence turns me on. And because I am evil! Muahahaha! (Remind me to get a psychological evaluation, will you?) Creepily, Koja thinks I'm quite like Yagami Light to some extent...

What can I say? Death Note is definitely a brilliant story. Check it out for yourself.

Ditch Naruto. It satisfies simple minds no more than a dripping faucet that attracts the attention of a cat. Death Note, however, is for big boys.

Long live Yagami Light!

2 comments:

K.O.J.A. said...

WOW! Hola! Death Note is the first manga worthy to appear on his blog! See the power?

Kryptos said...

All hail Yagami Light! Muahahaha!
*Phew, psycho!*