Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 12:44 pm

What a "Friend"

"Hey, can you come out now to accompany me at Gurney Plaza?"
"Huh? In such a short notice?"
"Please... I'm really bored!"
"Oh, uh, okay, okay. But not so early."
"Heheh, I'll introduce you to my friend."
"Huh?"
Fishy, no? Of course it was! He didn't tell me the whole story on the phone! But, I, being such a kind friend, didn't not have the heart to say no to him. This guy came all the way from Butterworth to Penang island and there must be a reason why he got "really bored".
"What are you doing here by the way? It's Valentine's day!" I asked.
The explanation given was that he asked his friend out, but his friend brought another friend along, and now they were sticking with each other, neglecting him, the poor guy.

Okay, reasonable enough.

That wasn't the exact story...

When I went to the bookstore to meet him, the look of relief on his beaming visage was evident. "How glad am I to see you!" Phew! For the moment, I thought he was going to give me a bear hug!
"So, you're here alone? Where are your friends?"
"Oh, they're in the washroom. You don't suppose me to follow them to the ladies room, do you?"
"You'd better tell me the whole story now."
And here's everything.

He asked a girl out for a date - it was Valentine's Day, remember? - but that girl being/pretended to be unaware, brought along her friend. My friend, of course, was upset about it. So, he decided to get someone out to accompany the other girl while he spent some private moment with his dream girl. He probably called up a dozen of other guys who already had appointments (ie, dates) on this big day, before asking me, one of those few poor, forlorn singles.
"So, that's it, huh?" I remarked.
"Hey, I'm giving you a chance! And she's good-looking!"
"Oh, you're such a "friend"!" I couldn't help being sarcarstic.
"I've even bought movie tickets for you!"
Jeez, a movie? How nice and how thoughtful!

In fact, He-Is-Such-A-"Friend" bought tickets for two movies - only that he didn't count the two of us in for the second one. So, I was supposed to "take her somewhere" while they watched the show.

Gah! That certainly got too far! I felt awkward as having a blind date! I didn't really mind since I didn't have a girlfriend to explain to. But, this girl was a quiet person and it can be rather frustrating when you're the only one trying to keep the conversation going. Besides, it was Valentine's Day. I'd have to give lots of explanations if I were to bump into my friends.

And, you bet, we did.

There was a change of plans. He-Is-Such-A-"Friend" ditched the tickets for the second movie and decided to take his date for dinner. But before that, he wanted to take her for a stroll at Gurney Drive and buy some flowers for her. I, on the other hand, had to bring my "blind date" for a walk around the complex while waiting for them.

At the ground floor, we met a couple, who both, were my schoolmate - Greetings. Teasings. Explanations. More teasings.

At a coffee house, we met my ex-colleague and his wife - Greetings. Teasings. Explanations. More teasings.

There were a few more couples whom I knew, but I didn't greet them. Phew! That really saved me lots of trouble.

And so, the whole awkward episode ended with the three of them going off for dinner - I'm sure my friend wasn't pleased with the odd number - while I rushed off for a barbeque an hour late, thanks to my "friend"!

Alright, I'm done clarifying. Sigh.

14 comments:

Zzzyun said...

LOL!!!

Serves you right! :P

Since you're the one who invited/volunteered to fetch me to the bbq... then pulled out in the end.

Tsk Tsk.

But then I'm being mean right? Haha..

Okla, kelian lah you. :P

Kryptos said...

:( again, sorry!
i may be coming back this year end. so if u do too, let me know and i'll see if we can arrange for a day out. ;)

阿蛋 said...

Kesian you.

Without a date is already bad, but being dragged toa blind date is simply absurd....hahahaha

K.O.J.A. said...

You might want to go out on a blind date with me!

(sorry, not me. It was my alter ego trying to find some writing substance for shonen-ai :P)

Kryptos said...

come, come. ah egg, koja... who wants to date me? come "som three"! ;P

Zzzyun said...

Haha.... u mean "threesome"? notty lo...

Wow. You're advertisizing for a date ah? Didn't know you're that desperate. :P

Kryptos said...

"threesome"? not exactly what i had in mind. can try out, tho ;P

阿蛋 said...

I prefer gangbang...threesome too few people dee

Kryptos said...

hey, hey! enough of this! otherwise, i'll hv to put up a "parental discretion required" disclaimer!

阿蛋 said...

you should put up that disclaimer.

However, such disclaimer may not have effect as the effct of such exemption clauses will depend on the country's law.

So do find out, is it really useful in terms of Malaysian Law

Wei Zhi said...

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.... u hv a very verrrry GY friend if u ask me.... aihz.. u shud hv juz bought tat girl along to the bbq... then make ur GY friend to go crown prince pick her up.. hehehe

Kryptos said...

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.... i hang out with a lot of GY kia's (get the hint?). i wud hv asked, if she wasn't that shy n if there weren't so many GY ppl around at the bbq. hehehe

CW TAN said...

hey at least u spent valentines wif sum1....

I was bored and alone doing my computing project till 4am....

eating instant noodles on the way

Anonymous said...

Wow... wat a special valentine....
Cun believe there really got such blind date in real life...
I tot it only appear in tv show.
Haha, too bad i cun c it.