Sunday, January 15, 2006 - 11:56 am

Yes, I'm Working

Mechanical engineers build weapons, civil engineers build targets. ~Anonymous
I'm not suggesting I'm psychic, but some people can be so predictable. These days, they'd most likely ask me whether I'm currently working. When I reply, "Yes, I'm working," the next question would be "Where're you working?". Alright, I'm sick of repeating and I'll tell you now once and for all so as to satiate those inquisitive people out there.

I'm working temporarily as a trainee chief engineer in an civil engineering consultancy - office hour, from 9 to 5. My job is to check blue prints and make sure there're no mistakes before they're submitted. You think that's easy job? It has more to do than approving blue prints all day long; it's tedious job, man! I have to carefully scrutinise every beam, column and slab of the structure. Even a tiny mistake can result in the structure crumbling under the fundamental forces of nature!

Of course, not everyone can take up this job. For god's sake, I attended a two-week intensive course, sat for two tests and went through two stages of interview. So, you bet only the cream will make it till the end.

The pay? Ah, not much. Only a mere 16 hundred bucks; but that's good enough for a trainee like me.

By the way, if you're still looking for a temporary job to keep yourself occupied during the holidays, I'm glad to inform you that our firm still has a vacancy for a trainee draftsman. No background knowledge of civil engineering whatsoever is required. We'll train you from scratch. Your job as a draftsman is to help us engineers correct technical drawings as told. So, basically, you need not have to understand what you're doing. We'll give you a minimum basic pay of 600. And, don't worry, I take good care of my subordinates.

Okay, I guess that's enough. Before my nose fully grows into a tree branch, here's the truth: I'm working as a trainee draftsman.

Tsk, tsk. Some people can be so gullible, apart from being predictable...

9 comments:

Tan Sri said...

thou art soundeth like thy kai ye.....

Kryptos said...

i sound like ah tit koh? how so? (Questioning look ??????)

Tan Sri said...

becauseth thou art sayeth long long nonsensical thingeth, b4eth thy point....

dun bother about the weird medieval english... its juz tat i got bored

Kryptos said...

i was about to mention that "thou art soundeth like shakespeare too". but on second thought, it sounds more like some kind of speech defect :P

Tan Sri said...

when u have a broken leg, time is something that u hv too much :P

sjune said...

what?tan sri you broke your leg?!

no wonder ur msn name....

Zzzyun said...

Haha... I tot so from the start that ur job sounds too good for someone just starting our from F6!!

lol.. guess that I'm not that gullible after all. :P

Wei Zhi said...

hoi u farkerlala!! how dare u lie to me during recruitment day??!! arrrgh! i am gonna kill u n dig u out of ur grave n then clone u b4 killing all of ur clones!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

U really get a job tat really suit u.
I just work as a waiter in a small shop.