Sunday, October 30, 2005 - 6:29 pm

A Deed – or was I Duped?

He who does not abandon falsehood in word and action in accordance with fasting, God has no need that he should abandon his food and drink. ~Prophet Muhammad
It is five minutes to seven, the time for Muslims in Penang to break fast. You’re cycling on the road when a Malay man approaches you and explains that he has lost his wallet. He politely asks for RM1.80 so that he can buy his dinner. Should you give him the money or just come up with some excuse and leave?

You may not have a chance to encounter this unusual situation, but a guy actually did. And he gave the stranger two bucks. Foolish, no? Well, that guy was me.

It happened yesterday evening, when I cycled to a nearby coffee shop to buy dinner. I was reaching a junction when a guy, who was also happened to be cycling, called out at me. Of course, I was initially confused. The Malay who appeared to be in his twenties was a total stranger to me.

When I stopped by the road, he approached and explained that he dropped his wallet somewhere. It was about time for him to break fast but he needed RM1.80 for his dinner. In a polite manner which he maintained throughout the conversation, he asked if I’d be kind enough to help him out. Without giving it a second thought, I replied, “Sure!” and gave him two bucks. His visage was beaming as he shook my hand and thanked me.

Some people may ask, “Heck, you believed the guy, a total stranger who you didn’t know? How did you know he was not lying?” The truth is, I don’t know. In fact, I just assumed that he was telling the truth and considered whether to help him or not. After all, isn’t this Ramadan, the holy month? Don’t get me wrong, I wasn’t not trying to earn my pass through the Pearly Gates. I’m a non-Muslim – an atheist, to be exact. To people like me, there is no concept of heaven or hell.

I was trying to say, since it’s Ramadan, I presumed he wouldn’t be lying, right? It’s supposed to be a month for self-purification and spiritual growth for Muslims like him. Furthermore, don’t you think there isn’t such a desperate need for someone to lie to a stranger just to dupe him of two bucks?

Nevertheless, there is always still a small possibility that he was lying. I remembered hearing him said that he wanted to lodge a police report initially but was told it wasn’t necessary. He just needed to go to the National Registration Department to get a replacement. Thinking of that, it didn’t really make sense to me. But, even if I was cheated of two bucks, I don’t think it matters much. It just proves that I’m gullible, and nothing more. While that guy, on the other hand, has his conscience to deal with! Since there’s no way to find out now I presume he was telling the truth, and be glad I didn't leave him to starve to death by the road.

Moments later, I met that guy again. I thought I saw him holding something which looked like a cigarette. I wondered… Nah, I didn’t care to find out!

8 comments:

CW TAN said...

one more lesson in life, no matter how bad he looks, just give them at most RM1...

another thing to note, nvr take the money out of ur wallet, the guy may just snatch it....

raptor_ravenlord said...

cw's 2nd point is good. 1st point is bullshit. wats an extra 1 dollar to you? if everyone thinks 'he may be a liar...let sum1 else donate' then ppl who relly need a donation will never get anything...on the other hand if everyone is cheated of RM1, its no big deal to any single person, is it?

Lin said...

ermmm...wow! i bet it was quite dark at that time? freaky....what if he wasn't there to borrow money? =S

Cheng Eng Aun said...

This incident reminds me of some words I've heard before: we don't have to be hesitate in helping others, for those who really need it, they deserve the assistance; disaster will ruin those cheaters if they really don't have the conscience.

Zzzyun said...

fellow atheist,
well, i tot it was good of you...i guess a person must be really desperate if he'd want to dupe u of rm2!!
however, it could be quite dangerous if he didn;t just want that rm 2 but snatched ur wallet instead right?
so be thankful that nothing worst happened...
hmmm...but isn't it the holy month for them? (rhethorical Q, no need to answer this..hehe)

Anonymous said...

Haha, if i was u, i would do the same thing.
RM2 is not a big number, still can afford.
If RM2 can help a person, why not?
Just like cw said, hv to be careful he will snatch the wallet away.
U really saw he grap cigarette?
Haha, nvm lah.....

Kryptos said...

cwtan, phyee>> yeah, it was a risk... with all those cases u see in d newspapers, one just hv to be careful... i'm not sure about that cigarette. but even if it was, it didn't prove anything.

wanker>> right

lin>> nope. on the contrary, it was still bright. muslims break fast during sunset and not after sunset. besides, it was a busy road with coffee shops around.

cheng>> yeah. and i think duping a samaritan during the holy month is a certain way of ending up in hell!

zyun>> u're an atheist too? cheers! yeah, i wasn't thinking so much at that moment. but as i gave serious thought to it later when i got home, i was glad nothing bad happened. :)

sjune said...

he might hex you too :P

hmmm....about duping...bu4 zhi1 ze3 wu2 zui4

if u kept ur distance(a bit) i dun think its easy for him to snatch ur wallet.be wary :)