Monday, October 31, 2005 - 5:14 pm

Bye-bye, Stone Age

…the Stone Age began roughly 2.5 million years ago, ended in some parts of the world 5,000 years ago… rapidly vanishing with the introduction of tools from the modern industrialized world. ~Microsoft Encarta
Everybody, put on the party hats! Whoopee! I know it’s not Halloween Night yet. Neither are the exams over. But the caveman has every reason to celebrate!

For years, the caveman has been silently suffering over the sluggish speed of his 31st-century B.C. dialup service. He banged his modem with his club, turned his CPU up-side-down and even bribed his computer with Swiss chocolate, but nothing worked. Then one day, someone came by and introduced him a 21st-century A.D. technology known as “broadband”, which promised break-neck connection speed. Finally, the caveman has something to look forward to.

I don’t know how she managed to persuade my mom. I’ve been trying to explain to her the ordeals of using a dialup connection but I never succeeded in getting the message across. Generation gap? I don’t know how, but Chloe did it! Attagirl!

Normally, I don’t open the door for salespersons. I just have a general distaste towards them, especially those irritable chaps from Wonderway who bugged us a few years back. Maybe, our stars didn’t match, or may be I’m allergic towards people in this profession.

However, when Chloe rang the doorbell yesterday morning, I was glad I opened the door. Initially, I thought it was some kind of survey which normally goes along the lines, “Hi, sir! I’m Mr Blah from Alpha Omega company. Do you mind telling me which shampoo you’re currently using? Why don’t you try out… Blah, blah, blah…” Heck, no! Instead, she turned out to be promoting Streamyx. Unfortunately, she came at the wrong time as my mom had gone to the church. And I wasn’t in the position to make the decision.

“It’s alright, I’ll be in this area till seven,” the amiable girl said. She promised to come back at one when my mom returned.

Later, when my mom reached home, I told her to expect a Streamyx representative. She went like, “What were you thinking when you asked her to come back?” Wow, that’s a great start! I sighed. Sure enough, Chloe came back at one, as promised. Not daring to place any hope, I left mom to talk to her alone. But, who would have thought that my mom actually let her in! Now, that deserved a second “Wow!”.

I guess it was some kind of female thingy. You know, people say that females can strike a chord easier among themselves. Chloe actually managed to convince her to switch to broadband. Golly, that’s the message I was trying to get across but ended up feeling like banging my head on the wall after a couple of futile attempts! Oh well, need I say there went my third “Wow!”? Of the other qualities she had, I attributed her success to her soft-spoken manner plus her zeal.

The bad news is, with the coming “combo festival” I may have to wait while they place an order for the modem and get it delivered to the house. But when the time comes, it’ll be a quantum leap from the Stone Age to the Broadband Age.

Hopefully, without delay, it’ll take less than three weeks. Oh, how the caveman hopes the delivery boy flies here on a pterodactyl instead of riding on a slow woolly mammoth! Make haste!

14 comments:

Cheng Eng Aun said...

Congratulations to you!

Anonymous said...

Congratulation to u.
Stone Age past d. Say bye bye to dinasaurs.
Welcome to Broadband Age. Say hello to high tech robots.
Haha.........

Tellu, actually i also dun like those promoter, especially when they come near me when i buy things.
Feel very geli to see them "glare" at u.
Cannot choose my things in comfortable way.

Kryptos said...

no, no, no. i hate to put chloe under "promoters". she's different. she's the messiah who brought the caveman out of the stone age!
Gosh! i'd never have convinced my mom!

Lin said...

ahem...is she ermm...pretty? *wink*

queenlyd said...

sigh.. ok, so how come there isn't anyone promoting streamyx in my area???? n i dun tink my dad is so easily bought off oso. sigh. sigh. SIGH.

sjune said...

haha....u really smeared chocolate all over u computer screen? :P:P:P

hmmm...about sales ppl....sigh...

my dad was somehow-ed tricked....rm 3000 gone and we got 4 useless items

ask me if u r intrested,tru msn

raptor_ravenlord said...

chloe..nice name :P i'll remember that

hopefully streamyx'll decide to do a bit of promoting in my area as well :P

Lin said...

HAHA...someone's dreaming...hope there's 2 Chloe =D =D

Tan Sri said...

Ah.. place not too much hope on streamyx, for its sometimes slower than dial up, which can be attested by all streamyx users present :P

Kryptos said...

Lin>> hey, hey. what r you thinking, eh? i thought raptor would be the only one who will ask this question!

Lydia>> heheh... tsk, tsk, pity, pity. let's hope some pretty girl can persuade ur dad!

june>> weren't u the one who suggested it? conned? sigh, some people are so bad. ok, tell me next time u see me online.

wanker>> hey, u hv streamyx d. why wud someone waste his/her breath promoting it to u??

tan sri>> if it really goes slower than dialup, the caveman be going to the tmnet office with my club and do some ass-kicking!

Lin said...

haha...i guess i was asking of his behalf =D
well, u see..usually mothers don't listen to pretty girls...(that's what i personally think)
AND...raptor would LOVE to have a pretty girl ringing his doorbell =P

sjune said...

my streamyx owezzzzzzz get me disconnected.ate too much chocolate d i think :P

needs herbal tea to cool it down :P:P:P

Cheng Eng Aun said...

Encarta also quoted: "...and ended in other regions much more recently." I think that refers to me kua... Maybe mine hasn't over yet :-(

Kryptos said...

u're living in bayan baru too, right? the area is under msc, so u're not in stone age!