Sunday, May 15, 2005 - 6:52 pm

Sniff… Sigh… Sniff… Sneeze…

Down with flu,
I’m feeling blue.
After a sniff or two,
Comes an “achoo”.
Moan… I’m… (sniff…) down with flu today… (sniff…) Achoo! Excuse me!

(For clarity purposes, all “sighs”, “sniffs” and “sneezes” are omitted from this point onwards.)

Actually, I caught a flu a few days back. But I was trying to fight back with positive thinking. No, no. I’m not nuts. I just don’t like to take medicines. Not only do they make me drowsy, they make me feel like a sloppy potato. Furthermore, I’m sure you know that you can’t really get rid of viral flu with medicine.

And thus, I went to bed every night assuring myself everything will be fine when I wake up the next day. Sadly, it just did not work. So, here I am, with two bulgy, watery eyes, looking as if I’ve been crying for the whole of the previous night. To tell the truth, I’m no better than a flaccid beansprout.

This morning alone, I’ve used up half a roll of toilet paper. At this rate, the supermarkets are going to run out of toilet paper in no time. Not to say, Indah Water, the sewage management, is going to charge me extra for clearing up all the toilet paper that I flushed down.

I later found out that not only the mucous membranes are working overtime but my imagination as well. My mind wandered off to the recent bird flu cases reported.

Nasal congestion? Checked. Nasal discharge? Checked. Fever? Nope. Cough? Nope. Muscle aches? Nope. Sore throat? Nope.

I guess having only two checks dimissses the diagnosis, right? Phew!

Say, I don’t even think I’m down with a flu. It’s most probably just a runny nose, or at the worst, a cold, don’t you think?

Anyway, I’ve taken the medicine and am feeling a lot more better now. Well, I’d rather become a sloppy potato than a flaccid beansprout! As a matter of fact, it’s a “non-drowsy formula”. Part of the warning in the insert reads something like this: Side-effects may include restlessness and insomnia. Uh oh!

Meanwhile, the battle with flu (or is it common cold? Whatever!) rages on. And we know who’s going to win! (Wink!)

P/s: I wonder if you noticed that the title of this post is a tongue twister which I discovered inadvertently.

5 comments:

sjune said...

get these:
-vitamin C pills
-raw garlic
-ginger tea

it cures

anyway,the side effects are good for u isn't it?since u said u have been quite close with sandman,cousin of mr. zhou :P

refering to ur "me,at slumberland" post

(smtg lidat :P)

amphibian sp. said...

looks like there's a doctor in every blog (except mine) who is always d first in dispensing remedy for every sickness... oh, wish i have 1!! ;)

sjune said...

u're sick eh?

hmmm,forgot smtg

chicken soup cures too

i read those from a book,n about ginger tea its common sense k :P

Kryptos said...

Huh? siao po becomeing a doctor???!!! mati loh!!! yeah, sleeping works... i know sandman lah, not mr chou!

sjune said...

i wonder if u understood what i said.

u said,the side effects was getting restless and insomnia rite?that means u wont get drowsy(like what u were when u were not sick)

and no i'm not a doc,i m not taking bio

it was just stuff i read from books n newspapers,stuff that cures flu

up to u if u wanna believe it :)