Friday, January 11, 2008 - 10:56 pm

Kyoto

(Kiyomizu-dera, Kyoto)
43mm F/2.8 1/200 ISO200
Canon EOS Kiss Digitial X
Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di II

I'm glad that I got the 4GB compact flash. With a capacity of storing up to 400 RAW files, I had nothing to worry about storage space.
Spent the first five days of my winter holidays in Kansai. Of the four places I visited, Osaka - or strictly speaking, Umeda, which was basically where I hanged out - was the lousiest, and Kyoto was the best. Nara has magnificent otera's (temples) but I just hope they can supply toilet paper in their otearai's (toilets); Kobe was a okay, probably a little better than Yokohama. But at the end of the day, I'd say I still prefer Tokyo more.

Still, I need to pay Kyoto another visit. One day was definitely not enough to cover all the places that I planned to go.

Firstly, taking the wrong bus took me all the way to Fushimi-inari Shrine, which was in the opposite direction from the Golden Pavilion (Kinkaku-ji), where I intended to head to. Not that it was a lousy place, but I knew I wouldn't have time for all the places; intended to only check out three of the famous temples (Kiyomizu-dera, Kinkaku-ji and Ginkaku-ji).

But, oh well...

I got lost on the hill, trying to find my way out from the torii maze. And when I eventually came out from it, it was already past noon.

Unfurling the map I received from the not-so-friendly receptionist at the information counter earlier in the station, I examined and re-examined and re-re-examined it, before I decided that the closest place to visit next would be Kiyomizu-dera.

Last year in the multi-cultural communication class, we were required to do a presentation on our country. I remember talking about Penang's Kek Lok Si - it's fusion of Chinese, Burmese and Thai architectures, the commanding view from the top of the hill... If you've been to Kek Lok Si, think of a place 10 times better than that; that's Kiyomizudera.

Like Kek Lok Si, Kiyomizudera is built on a hill. The street that leads to the temple is lined up with omiyage shops. Feeling hungry? Don't be shy. Just step into a shop for some free sampling. Well, that was what I did on my way down from the temple; didn't have "lunch" till 4pm.

After about 15 minutes of walking, you'll find yourself at the very entrance of the temple, staring up at the gate, dumbstruck by the mere magnificence and the grand scale of the place. You'll have to pay a small fee to enter the temple. But, pst, there is another way. Instead of entering from the main entrance like everyone does, turn right before the stairs. You'll be heading in the opposite direction as everyone but that should save you a few bucks. That is, if you're fine with cheating in - of all places - a temple, and get cursed with a wart in the ass for all you know.

It takes more than a couple of hours to walk around the place. It's big, consisting of not just one but a few temples and shrines. I was there too late for the autumn leaves. A few weeks earlier and the view would have been magnificent. So is it during the cherry blossom season.

And so, I spent the rest of my afternoon there at Kiyomizu-dera. After filling up my stomach with the free samples, it was already too late for Kinkaku-ji. Ah well, I'll just need to find time to come back to Kansai for a second time. When I do, I'll allocate more time for Kyoto rather than wasting my time in crappy places like Umeda.

1 comment:

phyee86 said...

Well, honestly speaking,
even if got people come to kansai,
i also recommend him to go kyoto.
feel that kyoto got more japan feel.
kiyomizu-dera is my best osusume.
it was once nominated in the 7 wonders,
the only place in japan get nominated.