Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 5:29 pm

Travel Log: Nikko Toshogu Part II

1200 Tomb of Tokugawa Ieyasu
My thousand-yen pass doesn't include the ticket to the Nemuri Neko. Instead I have to pay for an extra ticket. But this part of Toshogu is not to be missed, as it leads to the tomb of Tokugawa Ieyasu. The first shogun of the Tokugawa dynasty.

This is the famous carving at the entrance to the tomb. The sleeping cat symbolizes world peace. But I wonder what happens when the cat wakes up...

To get to the tomb, you'll fist have to climb hundreds of stairs. Old Japanese cedar trees line up along the route.

This is the gate which leads to Tokugawa Ieyasu's tomb, which is, of course, off limits.

But this is how it looks like from the outside of the walls.

And this giant urn is where the remains of Tokugawa Ieyasu is kept.

Then, heading back outside... Guess what, it's a traditional Japanese wedding ceremony!

The last time I visited Meiji Jingu, there was a wedding ceremony. It seems that everytime I visit a shrine, there must be a wedding ceremony going on... But a wedding at the famous Toshogu? That's out of the ordinary!

At about 13.15, I take the steps down and head for the third shrine, Futarasan Shrine. Before leaving Toshogu, I try to take a snap of myself in front of the main gate. Upon seeing me struggling keep the camera pointed at the right direction, a tourist comes over offering his help. Unfortunately, those photos just aren't too satisfying so I decide not to post them here.

These, I've forgotten where I took but I call them the "Dancing Gods".

There's the Green guy and the Red guy.

See what I mean?

Then, this is the self-portrait I took with the tallest Japanese cedar tree in the compound.

1400 Futarasan Shrine
Near the entrance to Futarasan Shrine, there's this tree where couples pray to.

They write their wishes on a piece of wood called an e-ma (絵馬), and hang it under the tree.


~ Oops, time for dinner. To be continued. ~

No comments: