Sunday, September 10, 2006 - 11:24 pm

What Defines Your Life

Life is without a meaning until someone comes along to lend it meaning.

I've found her. Last week, we celebrated our one-month-old relationship. I know this sounds lame but she means everything to me. I just can't imagine how I managed to spend my first four months here without her!

But, every relationship has its ups and downs - you just don't know how long it will go on. Finding a balance that will maintain the relationship is more delicate a business than flying a kite - hold her too loose and she'll slip away; hold her too tight and she'll, well, still somehow slip away. That, frankly, is what I fear the most.

A few days back, she suddenly became cranky - whenever I typed the letter "b", it refused to appear.

Fearing the worse, I thought the keyoard(sic) was going gaga due to the fact that the laptop - often eing(sic) left switched on overnight for illegal downloading - has decided to reel(sic).

Holy Christ! How can she just do this to me! Not longer than a month and our relationship is starting to fall apart! No! That's too cruel!

But, just like every couple, we made up sooner than you can say "forget-about-her-and-go-find-another-girl". Hah! That afternoon, everything became alright again! That's when I realised how important my Toshiba Dynabook CX/875LS is to me. She defines my life - I can't live without her.

Come to think of it, life in this 3m x 4m room is no better than being confined in a sealed-off chamber; or having a crappy commercial jingle playing indefinitely in your head. In either case, you just feel like cracking your head open.

Now I know why the study table (together with the book shelf) is bigger than the bed. That's how the evil people who designed this room want us to define our lives: spend more time on the study table than in the bed, you lazy bum!

Geez, you @#$?! You're going to hell!

Uh, sorry. I got off from the wrong side of the bed this morning.

Anyway, I was trying to say that most people here in the dorm define their lives by studying, especially the V-mese (not mentioning the nationality lest I get charged for discrimination). Heck, those book-muching zombies... They study more than they sleep!

Me: I notice that you prefer to buy bento's nowadays. Not cooking anymore?
V-mese: No time. Have to study.

Me: Didn't you go anywhere during the holidays?
V-mese: No. Was studying.

Me: Huh? You just woke up?
V-mese: 'Cos I studied till very late last night.

Study. Study. Study. Crikey!

And there's one V-mese who lifts off his mattress and sleeps by covering the wooden planks beneath with the futon. "It's too hot," he explained. But, here's what I heard from a sempai from Osaka.

Curiously, it seems that the V-mese in Osaka do that too - so that they don't fall asleep in the middle of their studies!

Phew!

What defines your life? Studies?

Heck, get away from me, you zombie!

9 comments:

m@tt'ĥëW said...

when i read the first paragraph i was soooooo shock, see tatt having a gf????? :P

well laptops are always our wives when we are studying overseas

Kryptos said...

why can't i hv a gf??! -_-"

Cheng Eng Aun said...

I never thought that the V-mese are ubiquitous......? And guess what, many V-mese over here are doing the same with their bed too!

GLO said...

wah bullshit...i think V-mese pretty much the same as honkies...i mean, those so-called good students of hk...they study throughout the night too.

but gimme a break, i did that too. but not to my bed though. i haf no choice. they cram 4 years course into 3 years. the workload is damn heavy man.

true...laptop is my wife as well. she serves all the purpose. everything u can think of.

and about gf, see tatt, relax. look around. open up ur mind. even guys can be attractive. :D

阿蛋 said...

Please, spare me the shock. You having a gf? haha

Please dun shock your readers with such posts lar

Kryptos said...

ea cheng>> what?! they do that too? hv u ever tried asking them why?

glo>> nah, i'm not interested in u, if that's what u mean. anyway, juz bcos i dun love u doesn't mean i can stop u from loving me.

egg>> me having a gf? no way! you, my eggie egg, will b the one and only!

Lin said...

oh gosh! i fell for it too!! =D
i thought u really have a gf already!

jiahling said...

lol..

you had me until "whenever I typed the letter "b", it refused to appear."

=P

CW TAN said...

screw the laptop, i prefer a desktop.... at least i dont get the exploding batteries... :p