Friday, August 26, 2005 - 4:56 pm

Jekyll and Hyde

I'm complicated, sentimental, lovable, honest, loyal, decent, generous, likable, and lonely. My personality is not split; it's shredded. ~Jack Paar
“I didn’t know you’re so cheeky!” Cheeky, in this case, is just an euphemism for naughty.

“I’ve a Jekyll and Hyde personality,” I blurted.

My reply at that time was meant as a joke. But now, the more I think of it, I could be right afterall.

I believe there is a Mr Hyde dwelling inside me and is up to no good at inopportunate times. At the same time, there is an exact opposite of him to balance up, whom I shall call Mr Jekyll.

If you want a solid idea, a cartoon representation of Jekyll and Hyde will be a devil with a pitchfork and an angel with a halo, hovering on both sides of my shoulder. But strictly speaking, that is just an embodiment of the human conscience, while mine is a mild case of split identity, to put it crudely.

Mr Jekyll is a good-natured, slightly introverted gentleman who wishes to lead a quietude life which has nothing to do with the harsh world outside. He prefers to keep to himself and to immerse in scholarly pursuits. Also, Mr Jekyll is strongly against anything that raises the adrenaline for he is somewhat lethargic.

Taoists believe that where there is light, there is darkness; where there is warmth, there is coldness; where there is good, there is evil. And therefore, there won’t be a balance if there is a Mr Jekyll but no Mr Hyde.

Mr Hyde, on the other hand, has an outgoing nature and constantly yearns to bask in the limelight. He tends to be aggressive at times, though not at the expense of his principles, for he still has a moral backbone. With extra energy to burn, he is always on the move to seek stimulations in his otherwise bland life.

All is well if Mr Jekyll and Mr Hyde manage to reconcile and coexist in a balanced manner. But the problem is, these two conflicting personalities are always in a tug of war in the bid to take control of the physique. Whoever wins, consciousness shall succumb to him. I guess that more or less explains my constant moodswings and inconsistent personalities.

I’m sad to say that of late, the lazy, sloppy Mr Hyde seems to be in control most of the time. He’s rather sick of being confined to Mr Jekyll’s sedentary lifestyle which is lack of thrills. Forget about books! Mr Hyde’s golden axiom is: Life is all about indulgences!

So, who am I now?

Let’s see… Is that a full moon out there? Hmm, I believe the scale is tilted more towards Mr Hyde.

Now, please excuse me. I have an appointment with my psychiatrist.

No comments: