Sunday, June 26, 2005 - 7:28 pm

Life's a Hike

Does the road wind up-hill all the way?
Yes, to the very end.
Will the day's journey take the whole long day?
From morn to night, my friend.
~Christina Rossetti
I’ll never understand why I did it again and again despite the fact that I’ve always dreaded the ascend to Penang Hill. Even though gasping for breath like a dying fish on land, there’ll still always be some energy preserved for me to grumble to myself.

Stupid me, why do I come here in the first place? Anyway, withdrawing from the competition is not a choice I’d make. It hurts the ego badly. Heck, I’m no coward. If the last place is reserved for me, then let it be. But I’m going to see it to the end somehow!

Perhaps, it is plain masochism that drives me up the hill all these times. This year was no exception. Once again, I found myself participating in the school’s annual hill-climbing competition with such confidence and egoism which, I knew dead well, would break down half-way up.

As usual, less than half of those who were eligible turned up yesterday morning. Those with valid reasons aside, there were of course also some who withdrew out of cowardice, giving lame excuses. Accept my humble salute to all those who were present and willingly took up the gauntlet to challenge themselves.

To me, hill-climbing is always the best way to put one’s determination, perseverence and mental strength to test. Some people lack the confidence and think that they won’t be able to make it due to physical constraints. However, I’ve always opined that, for the average, it is rather the psychological aspect that is the actual impedance. In fact, if you care enough to ponder, there is always a philosophical link between hill-climbing and life.

A rule of thumb for hill-climbing, as is the same case with life, is never look too far ahead. If you’ve gone up Penang Hill before, you’ll know that it is wise not to look up the slope because the moment you do, you’ll find your willpower flattened by the sheer steepness. “Sigh, I’ll never make it!” you think to yourself. Instead take one step at a time. I make it a point to remember not to look further than two feet away from me. In that way, you’ll find the road rather level.

But then, it doesn’t mean we should live in a state of ignorance and denial. True, looking into the future is an appealing prospect. It helps you to plan yourself, you’d say. But, what if you could only catch a glimpse of a bleak future? Will you be able to tread the path with as much confidence? Unless you have an unbeatable mental strength, you may give up half-way. After all, the future is shaped by the present. Without first taking the steps laid in front of you, there is no way of knowing what will the future be.

Once in a while, upon turning and looking behind, you won’t believe you’ve come so far. What would have seemed impossible suddenly becomes possible. At the end of the journey, the pleasure derived is the sweetest and the past seems to be merely a hike despite all the hardship.

Now, I know why I’ve been doing it all these years. It is the sense of achievement which serves as a motivation. Reaching the hilltop proves all the effort worthwhile and gives me a sense of achievement; a great boost for the ego. Forget about going to motivational talks; hill-climbing offers you the most meaningful lesson about life.

5 comments:

sjune said...

oh well.....

dun laugh when u read this....

u noe the hill near bukit jambul?

i went up twice,and both times,i cried :P

my dad paksa me hike one

mebbe cuz,i prefer swimming :P

sjune said...

oh well.....

dun laugh when u read this....

u noe the hill near bukit jambul?

i went up twice,and both times,i cried :P

my dad paksa me hike one

mebbe cuz,i prefer swimming :P

Kryptos said...

hey, the bj hill is too low... not challenging enuf leh...
hmm... swimming is fun too!

sjune said...

aiks

stupid internet connection made me post twice :P

i heard that hiking is not good for ur knee

sjune said...

aiks

stupid internet connection made me post twice :P

i heard that hiking is not good for ur knee