Sunday, April 10, 2005 - 7:51 pm

The Second Wave

Readers beware: This is yet another of the jeremiads of my never-ending grief thanks to Woe the Sadist.
On 26th of December 2004, just moments before the devastating tsunami hit the shores, the waves were observed to recede unusually low. Yet, many failed to realised that wrathful nature was brewing an impending disaster; no one reckoned the sign as a harbinger of doom which was set to bring grief to a lot of people.

It has been a month since 11th March – a hurtful day – as I called it in my previous blog. Time the Healer has done a clean job washing away my grief; the wave of sorrow has receded. But, alas! I have just committed the same mistake as the picnickers who fell victims to the killer waves. Just as I thought all was going well, the second wave struck but a stronger force this time, sweeping me into the sea of woe. Judging from my current situation, I would say it did a rather good job in trying to drown me.

This is as yet the most traumatic experience I have ever had. Nothing has been more disappointing and humiliating than being accused as a liar, especially by her – the girl that I revere! However, she told me yesterday she has the uncomfortable feeling that I have been playing around with her feelings. What was it that led her to this conclusion, I did not quite understand, considering that I have been constantly reminding myself to act naturally in front of her ever since that day. In fact, I have never felt more like myself in these past few weeks.

The truth is, I am having a stressful time posing as two persons: the one that the world greets and my actual grieving self. The image others perceive is that of a jovial person; someone who seems to be free of worries; the real image under the deceitful mask is that of a battered soul.

I tried to treat her as a normal friend, be wary of not showing too much concern so as not to pressure her. But sigh. She mistook it as sign that I was treating her badly, as I later learned. And I was quoted with several occasions which caused her to jump to the hurtful conclusion. Never had I the notion that girls are so sensitive to the extent that even a small action that boys hardly notice can be misconstrued and misinterpreted in a totally different manner.

I am feeling as if I am at the centre of a vacuum void that sucks all the plagues of sorrow into my psyche. How much of this I can withhold before the point of breaking down, I do not know. I just can’t help believing that I have been singled out by a very sick sadist to be the gambit of this callous game that consumes me as a whole.

When she rejected me exactly a month ago, I accepted it with such grace and magnanimity that I never knew I had – though it crushed the heart painfully with the equal magnitude – as things turned out quite within my expectations. However hurtful it was, it is nothing relative to this very woe that I suffer. For the first time after a period longer than I can remember, I wept. With no one to turn to but my ever-faithful friend, Solitude, all I could do was to wipe off the welled-up tears and turn my thoughts to other things. Unfortunately, it was harder than I thought for the longer I wallowed over the matter, the worse I felt.

I promised to forgive her. As I later turned the matter over in the mind, I realised that all these sorrows came from me in the first place. If only I had not divulged my feelings towards her, things would be a lot more better this day; if only I had not done the selfish things that only comforts me, she would be spared from all this grief; if only…

When I was posed with the question a few days back whether I was still in love with her, I could not come up with a sure reply. I have done quite well in trying to relieve her from my thoughts but does that imply that she no longer means that much to me? However, yesterday’s turn of events provided me with the sought-after answer…

Right now, I am strolling down via dolorosa, the path of sorrow. Where will it ultimately lead me to? I wonder.

7 comments:

amphibian sp. said...

oh gosh... it's really tough to handle it when she treats u like that. but hey, first love is always the most painful so dun take it too hard on yourself. i believe you hav done nothing wrong on ur part.

Tan Sri said...

Life is unpredictable.... and all must come to and end.
The human heart is like a porcelain bowl, fragile, yet strong in its own way... the first shattering is a dramatic affair, causing the bowl to break into many pieces....
time however is the healer of all wounds... time will remake the bowl whole, altho the cracks will always be in view..
not only does it heal, but it also fortifies, for the next time is is accidentally dropped, it will not shatter as greatly as the first time.

IvIech said...

I want to laugh at your misfortune, because sometimes people are too ignorant to figure out that they have some control over their lives. It is fear that keeps us from doing what we want, the fear of change, fear of loneliness, fear of rejection. This state of mind brought unto us by society and the world is something that you must struggle with and battle to the end. Just don't be afraid, things will turn for the better, because as Roosevelt said, "The only thing to fear is fear itself."

Kryptos said...

ck, I need to reiterate that she has done nothing wrong on her part. In fact, she couldn't have been more supportive during my period of grief.

sjune said...

hmmmm,ur english is so chim mebbe i dun understand fully

but from a girl's point of view,mebbe i can help u a lil

from what i read from newspapers and see for myself from my female friends,girls who had rejected any boy who tackled her or broke up with her ex,would expect that boy to be quite miserable without her in his life.

mebbe cuz u look just "ok" after she rejected u,it may make some girls think that ur love for her was not deep enough till u can achieve "just let you go"(although ur heart is shattered into pieces and u r crumbling from inside everytime u see her and try to act normally)

well,its a mean world after all =/

i don't mean to offence u,saying that ur love for her is not deep enough,

neither am i trying to say that she is such a mean girl

don't know if what i typed helped you,i'm just trying to say what i noe about girls

but relax,not all girls r lidat......mebbe its just a temporary situation cuz she cant adapt yet.....altho she was very open minded at first when she rejected u

well,u noe.girls tend to think to much and i have to admit this.

sorry if i offenced u or made u even more sad

Kryptos said...

Dun worry, June. of course I'm not offended. in fact, i appreciate ur advice. thx!

sjune said...

u r welcomed

theres a saying: 若天空没有了云,会不会寂寞?若云没有了天空,该在哪里停泊?

but smtms,gal have this kinda thinking:若我没有了你,寂寞不会太多;若你没了我,希望你还会感到一些失落......

as what i said,its a mean world after all :P

(hope u understand what i'm trying to mean :P)