Monday, May 01, 2006 - 6:00 pm

Takahata Fudōson Temple I

Now that the spring term has started, I'm rather busy and starting to regret not visiting all those interesting places in Tōkyō when I had time during the first week.

The Golden Week (黄金週間, Ōgon-shūkan) started from last Saturday (29 May). It was Midori no Hi (literally, Green Day). Come Wednesday and it'll be the Constitution Memorial Day; and Friday, Children's Day. In Japan, the day sandwiched between two holidays is a National Holiday as well, such as in this case. And, so, there are five rest days in a stretch. But, in most companies, Monday and Tuesday are also declared as off days. As such, the entire week is called the Golden Week in Japan. Unfortunately, in TUFS, since both the teachers and us students are so hardworking, Monday and Tuesday are not holidays...

Anyway, I know I'm going to kick my own butt if I don't take the chance to explore around. And so, to start off, I picked Takahata Fudoson Temple (高幡不動尊, Takahata Fudōson) as my first destination yesterday morning.
The precincts of the temple of Shingon School of Buddhism are scattered with Cultural Properties such as the Fudo-do and the Niomon Gate as well as Gojunoto tower, the monument of Shinsengumi, the statue of Vice Captain Toshizo Hijikata. ~Tokyo Handy Guide

Takahata Fudōson which is also known as Kongōji (金剛寺), is situated in Hino-shi (日野市), Tokyo. By switching to a Semi Express Train in Fuchū station, it took me only around 15 minutes to get to Takahata Fudō station. From there, the temple could be seen right at the end of the street on the right.

高幡不動尊参道

Takahata Fudōson Sandō (高幡不動尊参道).

Just in case you're wondering where all the tourists had gone, it was not even 9 o'clock yet when I got there. The street was almost empty; the stores were not yet open.

仁王門

仁王門は当初楼門として計画されましたが、途中で計画変更され上層の主要部を覆うような形で屋根がかけられ近年まで外観は単層でした。昭和34年解体復原修理の際楼門として復原され屋根も銅板葺きに変えられました。仁王尊は室町時代の作、楼上の扁額「高幡山」は江戸時代初期の運敞僧正「号泊如」の筆。

(Above:) Whoa! This is the main entrance to the temple, Niōmon Gate, one of Japan's national heritage.

(Above:) The gate was constructed during the Muromachi Era (室町時代). It was supposed to be a two-storey gate but the plan was modified halfway. In 1959, the gate was, however, dismantled and restored as this current gate.

(Above:) One of the two Guardian Gods (I suppose) to the temple.

Apparently, it's a big place.

四季の散歩道、八十八ヶ所


This is the entrance to the Four Season Sight-seeting Path, literally translated from 四季の散歩道) .

The path was beautifully landscaped and there were beautiful flowers.

Hey, meet this cute little buddy!

And, this is his name, I presume...

Hey, here's another one!

And here, too!

How many statues can you find in this photo?

Oh my God, they're ubiquitous! They're everywhere along the path! There're 88 of these Buddha statues.

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth
~The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost

Okay, I think I'm lost.

Somehow, I came upon these stairs which led up the hill.

Hmm, according to the map I saw earlier, this must be the way up to the castle ruins (高幡城址, Takahata Jyōshi).

Nothing much to see at all. It's a ruin after all. But, I managed to get a good view of the city (probably Tama-shi) from the hilltop. The hill was so beautiful and quiet that you can hardly believe you're in the middle of a bustling town...

...That is, if you forget about this PA system thingy erected somewhere near the hilltop.

Yeah, I love this place. It's so zen.

- End of First Part -

3 comments:

Lin said...

cool!! u went there alone?!O.O what if u get lost? or eaten by cannibals?? LOL

and i'm sooo curious...u actually memorised that 'poem' from the form 4 eng literature book?

Kryptos said...

yup, went there myself. Get lost? come on! it's not a jungle! it's in the middle of a bustling civilisation!

Memorised! No way! There're such a thing called google, remember? ;P

Lin said...

haha...of course...u'll never know...anything could happen u know?? =P

oh! and i thought u were freaky enough to memorise that! phew!