Friday, November 04, 2005 - 11:21 am

Sleeping, the Greatest Indulgence

Studies show that the length of sleep is not what causes us to be refreshed upon waking. The key factor is the number of complete sleep cycles we enjoy. Each sleep cycle contains five distinct phases, which exhibit different brain- wave patterns. ~Center for Applied Cognitive Studies
It was 4.30 in the morning. I looked out of the window. No one else had their lights on except me. “Congratulations,” I said to myself, “You’re the earliest one to wake up this morning!” But, no prize for that.

I brushed my teeth, took a pee and changed my clothes. Usual routine. Then, I switched on my computer and played some mp3s. Heh, it took more than self-discipline to not turn up the volume. A little reveille for everyone? Wakey, wakey! I was just wondering if it was possible to send Mr Kam from the ground floor or Mr Wong from the top floor banging on our door while still in their pyjamas.

Do I hear you say, “You’ve a lose nut!”? Maybe. I don’t wake up until 5.30 during school days. Early, but not as early as today. It wasn’t about racing to wake up before the sun or that I missed my worm for waking up so late these days when I no longer go to school. (I didn’t miss anything except the sunrise.) It was only part of an experiment – thanks to an article discovered via Lydia’s blog.

Glen Rhodes boasts of a technique that allows one to sleep better, and therefore less. It’s about quality, not quantity. I’m not sure how many advocates he has out there, but I was certain I wouldn’t want to deprive myself of sleep. When I read on, then only I realised there was more to it.

It’s about sleep cycles. Though it varies from individuals, it has an average of 90 minutes. The key is to wake up after completing a few cycles. It doesn’t matter how many cycles you complete as long as you don’t wake up in the middle of one. So, it’s important not to use an alarm clock. Okay, I tried that but couldn’t wake up early the next morning because I slept like a log!

The second thing is to be biphasic instead of being monophasic. Glen claims it’s important to take an afternoon nap. Again, one or two cycles. Don’t disrupt any sleep cycle until it’s complete. Well, no problem at that. I usually nap in the afternoon for as long as I feel like it. Is it a coincidence that it normally lasts for one and a half hours?

My latest experiment was a success, considering that I woke up without an alarm clock. I couldn’t calculate how long I slept exactly, though. I went to bed at 9.30 last night but it took me quite some time before I got to sleep. (Hey, it won’t be easy when you’ve been staying up past midnight for the previous two weeks!) I woke up from a nightmare at approximately 1.30. (Don’t expect me to divulge my dreams like somebody did!) From then till the moment I really got up, three hours lapsed. Two sleep cycles. Coincidence, again?

Unfortunately, barely three hours after waking up, I curled up snugly in my bed and began to sleep again. Hm… Cosy! Hey, blame it on the weather if you want to!

One thing for certain is, I don’t think I want to do this again.

15 comments:

Cheng Eng Aun said...

Haih, sleeping is like a luxury to me nowadays... Just procrastinate when it is time to sleep...

Kryptos said...

procrastinate when it comes to sleeping? impossible!

Lin said...

WHAT?!
lol..i can juz sleep the whole day if no one wakes me up =D i'll try that after the 3-letter-word is over =P =P BEAUTY sleep!

Anonymous said...

Last time i always sleep around 11-12 at nite.
Then at the morning i can easily wake up at 7 or 8.
Recently i was addicted to internet chatting in midnite, so now i change to sleep at 1-2 at nite.
And now u want me to wake up around 8 or 9 is also difficult.
Hehe.....
Sometimes got school days i also can on9 till 2am, then wake up at 5.45am. (2am is the time i just want to go to my bed, still dunno wat time i will fall asleep yet...)
And yet in the evening i dun take nap one.
Haha, many ppl was curious how i can tahan to sleep so little.
Actually when i go tuition, i can very sleepy until sleep during the lesson.
Put a book on the table, then sleep wif my head facing downwards to the book, pretending i'm following the lesson by looking at the book.
Haha......

Zzzyun said...

hehe..I'm a person who don't sleep much too..but when i really sleep, without setting an alarm, I dun think i'll be able to wake up in time...maybe two days later lo..lol..

raptor_ravenlord said...

pig pig pig

Cheng Eng Aun said...

It's strange huh? I also found this to be bizarre, but seems I got no way to get out of it... For now... Maybe I will not procrastinate to sleep when I'm thoroughly exhausted...

sjune said...

its best to sleep during 11 pm to 5 am. must sleep.

and its really fun sleeping at school :P

queenlyd said...

hahaha, my advice: sleeping fewer hours doesn't mean you get in more time studying. i found that i must get enough sleep or else i can't concentrate on studying. For exams are ok, because i've got adrenaline and caffeine to keep me going. =P

Kryptos said...

lin>> unfortunately, the more u sleep, the more tired u become!

phyee>> whom r u chatting with in d middle of d night? prawn?

zyun>> sometimes, i wish i dun hv to sleep so much too, so that i can hv more time for other things.

wanker>> u're a jealous insomniac!

cheng>> when i've things to do, i dun feel like sleeping. but who am i to resist the sandman?

june>> u sleep in school? and u say it's fun? god!

lydia>> when i was a boy scout, camping means 2 hrs of sleep, max. so when i returned home 3 days later, i was no more than a walking zombie. =P

sjune said...

sleeping in school is fun.hehe.not as in during class la.at night.

Anonymous said...

Aiyah, not necessary is prawn ok?
I got many friends who like to on9 n chat in midnite.
Hehe....

Haha, i find tat i cun sleep in class.
May be not use to lying on the table gua....
I only did tis 1 or 2 times, tat is when i really so sleepy until i cun tahan anymore.....

sjune said...

sleep,as in bringing ur own sleeping bag and sleep at school

if you sleep on the table,u might feel uneasy(tak cukup oksigen)

Kryptos said...

oh, lemme guess... u slept in school during ur training camp?

sjune said...

yala

abo? :P