Sunday, May 29, 2005 - 6:51 pm

My Pathetically Cantakerous PC

To err is human, but to really foul things up requires a computer. ~Philip Howard
The torment is finally over! Can I really complain when I hardly prepared for this one? That’s the problem with a megalomaniac who is arrogantly confident of himself, until reality catches up and proves him as another mere mortal.

Alright, here’s my confession: I have been playing computer games since the second week of the exam, and quite without feeling guilty about it. Perhaps that’s the sin that I have to atone for, when, three days ago, the recalcitrant PC finally decided that enough was enough and refused me my indulgence. Every time I was half-way through the opening credits, the screen would go blank and the next thing I knew, PC restarted. Argh!

I summoned every bit of my patience, waiting for PC to restart. It doesn’t take too long, normally – only just enough for you to grow a beard.

Here was the second try. I crossed my fingers and loaded the game once more. Heck, it just happened again, the same way as before!

Maybe I should just try again after the exam, I told myself. After all, I should be studying at this time. I thus left it until the exam is finally over, which is now!

Okay, maybe dear PC now judges that I’ve been a good boy abstaining from computer games for the past few days (as if I had a choice!) and decides to co-operate. But, who could have guess that he remains as the obstinate ass!

I’ve tried practically everything, from reinstalling the game and the media player which was found to be corrupted, to restoring the system to an earlier checkpoint… Yet, nothing worked! PC is totally incorrigible! It is as if someone (though I can’t think of who) has executed some build-in command hidden inside complexity of PC’s silicon brain – something like Order 66 that turned the Clones into psychotic maniacs.

Oh God! The suffering is supposed to be over and yet, I’m being deprived of the highest form of entertainment! It’s a nightmare!

But wait, why don’t I try another game?

That, I soon find out is equally hopeless. Whenever I insert the disc into the drive, all processes that PC is running would be suspended in action; rigor mortis sets in. It looks like my five-year-old CD has already been grown with mould, rendering it impossible to read any information off the disk.

Alright, PC, I have lost my patience with you and I concede defeat! Playing the soundtrack from the Phantom of the Opera doesn’t help to sooth my nerves. The out-of-tune Transylvanian theme only eerily reminds me of Count Dracula’s leitmotif.

If I can’t play games, then so be it! I can always count on a good novel. And, look at the bright side! I can still blog and surf! Oops, did I just make a suggestion to PC?

4 comments:

sjune said...

hey,ur PC thinks for u eh.....stop u from playing games during exams.it deserves an award :P

raptor_ravenlord said...

y cant i hv a pc like dat...aih :P

sjune said...

i guess he'll b happy to exchange w u :)

Kryptos said...

i suddenly seem to hv too many things to do at once...